Household battery and cell phone disposal

Single-family households

Menlo Park residents in single-family homes in the ReThink Waste service area can place household batteries and cell phones in a clear zip lock bag and place it on top of your black garbage cart for pickup on your regular collection day. Due to fire risks, Recology asks residents to tape lithium-ion batteries and wrap cell phones in paper before placing them in the zip lock bag. 

Multifamily residents

Multifamily residents should check their buildings for an orange bin labeled for battery and cellphone collection and disposal. If you do not see one contact your property manager and ask that they request a free collection bin by calling Recology San Mateo.

Property managers

Recology requests that property managers establish a centrally located collection container for residents to dispose of batteries and cell phones. Property managers can receive a free collection bin, schedule a pickup and ensure the bin is in an appropriate location by calling Recology San Mateo.

Drop off

Many local retailers have collection bins for proper battery and cellphone disposal. Visit for drop off locations near you. 

Residents can also drop off batteries and cell phones, along with other electronics, at the Shoreway Environmental Center located at 333 Shoreway Road in San Carlos and open Monday through Sunday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call the Shoreway Environmental Center at 650-802-8355 for more information.


How can I find out my waste collection, recycling, and/or organics service day?

Recology of San Mateo County can inform you of your waste collection, recycling, and/or organics service days by calling 650-595-3900 or visit Recology's website.

Who can I call for waste collection service changes or questions about my bill?

Recology of San Mateo County can answer billing questions at 650-595-3900.

How can I recycle hazardous wastes such as oil, antifreeze, pesticides, computer monitors, sharps, fluorescent tubes, and bulbs?

Residents of San Mateo County can recycle their household hazardous waste with the San Mateo County Environmental Health Household Hazardous Waste program. To set up an appointment, please visit SMCHealth website or call 650-595-3900.

How do I recycle organics properly? I am not used to placing food scraps out for recycling.

The organics recycling cart is simply a large compost container. Place your food scraps in the bin with yard trimmings for weekly pick-up. Common household items that can be placed in the bin include coffee grounds, breads, pasta, eggshells, fruit, meat, pizza boxes, and wine corks. For additional information on how to compost, please visit the Recycling, Compost & Garbage Page.

Are plastic bags acceptable in organics containers?

Compostable bags certified by the Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI) are acceptable in the organics program. For detailed information on these bags, please visit the South Bayside Waste Management Authority's website.

I am doing construction / remodeling on my property. Do I need to obtain a debris box from Recology?

Debris from construction, demolition, or remodel of a building is not included in the Franchise Agreement between the City of Menlo Park and Recology. This means that any company can be used for construction, demolition, or remodeling projects. If a project requires a deposit because of the Construction and Demolition Ordinance, be certain that recycling tags show Menlo Park as the City of Origin and that recycling requirements are met.

What is the proper way to dispose of prescription medication?

Prescription drugs should not be placed in the trash. The City of Menlo Park offers a free, safe, and convenient location for residents to dispose of unwanted or expired medication. A secured drop box is located in the Police lobby at 701 Laurel St. Drop-offs can be made during regular business hours.

Contact Recology

Recology San Mateo County

To add, change or for questions about garbage, recycling or composting services